Saturday, April 8, 2017
Elton Among 63 New Phone Hacking Claims
The singer and celebrity chef are among 63 alleged victims to have issued a bid for compensation at the High Court.
News Group Newspapers already faced claims from 28 people who also allege their voicemails were intercepted.
More than 1,000 people have already settled with the company, which denies the practice took place at the Sun.
The latest claims include stories published by the Sun, after a High Court judge ruled in April 2016 there was enough evidence for claims against the paper to be heard.
The hacking revelations led to the closure of the NoW in 2011 after it emerged that journalists intercepted the phone of murdered schoolgirl Milly Dowler.
Since then, celebrities including Hugh Grant and Charlotte Church have settled claims against the NoW over phone-hacking, while other cases - including actor David Tennant - are still being heard.
Christopher Hutchings of Hamlins Solicitors, the lead firm for the 91 claimants, said the inclusion of the Sun had led to more alleged victims coming forward.
"This surge in the number of claimants is a reflection of the expansion of the case to cover the Sun," he said.
Mr Hutchings added some claimants were seeking damages for "concealment and destruction of evidence" by NGN.
Singer Sophie Ellis-Bextor and theatrical agent Caroline Chignell are among the other people taking action, who include sporting celebrities, actors and entertainers.
at 7:34 PM