Sunday, August 9, 2015
Elton Rushed to Hospital in Monaco
The Daily Mail revealed that the 68-year-old was taken to Monaco from his home in Nice for treatment at a top private hospital after he found an abscess on his thigh, which mysteriously "swelled like a balloon" during a game of his favourite sport, tennis.
The singer - who was playing in high temperatures on his private court with his long-time coach - became concerned after his leg swelled and became unbearably painful.
A source said: "He was worried. It was swelling and swelling."
The Daily Mail reported that the fear for his health was such that an ambulance was called and he was admitted to Princess Grace Hospital in neighbouring Monaco.
His sons Zac and Elijah stayed behind at his stunning villa in the exclusive area of Mont Boron, near Cap Ferrat, while Elton was monitored and administered with a cocktail of injections, including an adrenaline shot.
It was reported that husband David Furnish, 52, was not with him at the hospital.
The news comes in the same week it was revealed that high temperatures on the Continent may have played a part in the death of Cilla Black at her Spanish holiday home.
It is not the first health scare for Elton, who revealed two years ago how he was "lucky and grateful to be alive" after learning he had been playing European tour dates while suffering from undiagnosed appendicitis.
He said at the time: "I was a ticking timebomb. I guess I could have died at any time." He subsequently cancelled a show in London's Hyde Park and other dates while being treated for the inflamed appendix.
Elton, who has now been discharged, is said to be recovering well, managing to perform at a concert in Lake Tahoe in the US last night.
- NZ Herald
at 8:25 PM