Saturday, November 26, 2011

Dunedin Set List & Review

Playlist (27 songs) went: (after a 15 minute session of 2Cellos).

Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting)
I'm Still Standing
Madman Across The Water
Holiday Inn
Tiny Dancer
Philadelphia Freedom
Good Bye Yellow Brick Road
Candle InThe Wind
Rocket Man
I Guess That's Why They Call It The Blues
Hey Ahab
Gone To Shiloh
Monkey Suit
Band Introduction
Honky Cat
Sad Songs
Sorry Seems To Be The Hardest Word
Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me
Are You Ready For Love
Benny And The Jets
The Bitch Is Back
Crocodile Rock


Your Song
The Circle Of Life
Can You Feel The Love Tonight.

Bouquets and brickbats have followed from Friday night's Elton John concert in Dunedin, with some people saying the sound quality was "superb" and "awesome" and others "horrible" and "disgusting".
Capital C: Concerts managing director Phil Sprey yesterday said the extreme weather conditions on the night did cause problems.

Gusts of up to 130kmh hit the city on the night of the concert.

"It's nothing to do with the sound system or the venue," he said.

Pressed on that response, Mr Sprey said he had "the best sound engineers walking round the venue making sure everything was all right".

Those engineers had told him the problem with the wind was in the way it was coming through the entrance tunnels, and the angle it was hitting the roof, meaning there were changes in pressure inside the stadium, which affected the sound in some places.

"At times, there were big gusts of wind hitting the roof, which makes the roof beat like a drum, but there's nothing you can do about that."

Dunedin Venues Management Ltd chief executive David Davies backed up his explanation, and said atmospheric conditions had a big effect, for instance, on who was affected by sound outside a stadium.

"I would point out it was an extreme situation," he said.

Mr Davies apologised to anyone who was affected by the issue, but noted the concert would have been far more unpleasant if there was no roof on the stadium.

Mr Sprey said Sir Elton had enjoyed the concert so much he played for 20 minutes longer than usual.

"He was thrilled with the concert. He had a ball of a time.

"He played much longer than in any of his recent concerts and he only does that when he's having a really good time.

"If he's getting good feedback, he'll keep going and he probably played another seven or eight songs more than he usually does," he said.

"This was the first big international act in the stadium and it went very well. Out of the four times I've had Elton, this has been the easiest of the lot. All his crew and band were very impressed with the venue."

The star was conservative in his requests, Mr Sprey said.

"Sir Elton had a very mild rider, but the dressing rooms were like five-star hotels.

"Dunedin looked after him very well. Furniture Court supplied all the furniture for him and Carley Jones at St Clair provided all the flowers."

Mr Davies said the Forsyth Barr Stadium pitch stood up well to the rigours of 13,000 seats and spectators.

"There was a little bit of bruising, but there was also some bruising to the grass after the ODT concert."

He felt licensed bars in the venue had coped well with the crowds, apart from a "system failure" in the North Stand bar.

Queues of over 100 people and waits of up to 45 minutes for drinks were "not unreasonable" for a bar servicing 13,000 people, Mr Davies said.

He said there would always be a compromise between adding more facilities and maintaining safe evacuation strategies.

Police said there were few problems with the crowd.

"It was a fantastic crowd and a fantastic event for the city. I couldn't praise it more," Senior Sergeant Gavin Briggs said.

There had been one arrest at the event, for the alleged assault of a policeman who intervened in an altercation.

There was some traffic congestion following the event, "but that was the reality of having 35,500 people in the area", Snr Sgt Briggs said.

St John Ambulance reported a middle-aged woman had a "medical event" at the concert and was taken by ambulance to Dunedin Hospital, where her condition improved.

A Buzzy Bee flew off with Sir Elton John after his concert in Dunedin on Friday night.

The performer was in the city for only about eight hours, but left with a swag of souvenirs from the southernmost concert of his 40-year career.

"We got him half a dozen New Zealand T-shirts for his young son and a Buzzy Bee. You can't leave New Zealand without a Buzzy Bee," promoter Capital C: Concerts managing director Phil Sprey said yesterday.

Sir Elton also found time to pop into a Dunedin art gallery for a private exhibition of glasswork before the concert on Friday.

"He's been a client of ours for many, many years. It was something that was prearranged months ago and we put a special show together for him," Milford Galleries Dunedin director Steve Higginson said yesterday.

"He has purchased many New Zealand works from us over the years."

Mr Higginson would not reveal details of any works Sir Elton bought on Friday, citing client confidentiality.



Will Carr said...

I like all musics, but i got very disappointed with Saturday Nights starting the set list. When i went to his concert in September, i was very upset with.

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't it be "Tony Danza?"