Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Recent Deaths of Stephen Gately & Kevin McGee Take Toll on Elton

He is usually the life and soul of the party. But on this occasion, Sir Elton John was not his buoyant self.
The toll of a stressful week appeared to be etched across the singer’s face as he left Scott’s restaurant in Central London on Monday night.

Sir Elton, 62, had arrived with his civil partner David Furnish for a romantic meal ahead of Furnish's 47th birthday next week.

But when the couple left three hours later they could barely raise a smile. Sir Elton’s eyes looked bloodshot and his face was drawn.

He is obviously feeling the loss of close friend Stephen Gately, who was found dead in Majorca at the weekend.
Sir Elton said he was ‘stunned’ by the tragedy. He had helped the Boyzone singer overcome an addiction to prescription drugs following the band’s split in 2000, and had also introduced him to his boyfriend Andrew Cowles.

The couple had arrived at Scott's in Mayfair shortly after 8pm, where there was just one photographer loitering at the celebrity haunt to take their picture - not the scrum that generally awaits their arrival.
But as the hours passed, matters both inside and outside Scott's apparently took an unfavourable turn.

Elton looked rather unsteady on his loafers as he left the restaurant after 11pm.
If the singer was not so famously teetotal, one might almost have thought he had been drinking.
Perhaps then the longevity of the dinner - which lasted some three hours - must have taken its toll on the 62-year-old singer.
Outside Scott's, with no other celebrity parties of any note in London on Monday night, the crowd of paparazzi had grown to 25 in number.

All of which made for rather an unfortunate scene as Elton was led out of the restaurant to make the short distance across the pavement to his chauffeur-driven gold Bentley.

Coming out into the cold, with Furnish clasping his hand tightly as if to guide him, Elton looked rather careworn.
Elton walked slowly and purposefully as his security team cleared a wide berth for him.

When it came to walking down the couple of low steps on to the pavement, he also appeared to find that tricky and can be seen in one picture sticking his tongue slightly out as if to help his concentration.

When he reached the car, Furnish took a firm grip under Elton's left armpit to steady him while one of the singer's other guests put a protective arm around him on the other side to guide him into the back seat.

Once the pair were safely in, the Bentley sped off in the direction of Elton's town house in Holland Park, west London.
The singer is midway through a world tour and was flying out yesterday to Antwerp.

Elton John's publicist said last night: ‘He’s in the middle of a very long tour. Other than that there is nothing to comment about.'

- Daily Mail

No comments: